Thursday, August 8, 2013

Seven Back To School Read Alouds For The Classroom


Greetings Reading Friends!
I'm staying at home with my children this year! I'll miss being in my classroom, but I feel like I am able to give back in a new way by sharing with a larger audience.
Many teachers have come to me over the years asking for book suggestions to read aloud to their classes in the first few days of school.
Sooo, here's my list of favorites!
1. The Important Book by: Margaret Wise Brown
I've always incorporated a get to know you writing activity with this fav. The finished piece makes a nice presentation for Open House night.
2. First Day Jitters by: Julie Danneberg
I love the perspective of the teacher in this book feeling nervous about the first day, which we don't find out until the end. Seeing the looks on my students faces at the end of the story was priceless.
3. Prairie School by: Avi
Noah thinks reading isn't important on the prairie, but his Aunt changes all that. Noah learns the power of reading and lifelong learning. There's great discussions to have about the importance of reading with this book.
4. Donovan's Word Jar by: Monalisa DeGross
Donovan collects words! After reading this short chapter book, I always started a class word jar with my class and we became word gatherers just like Donovan all year long! The ideas are endless.
5. My Teacher's Secret Life by: Stephen Krensky
The student narrator humorously explains what teachers do after hours at school. He's shocked to see his teacher outside of school doing things other people do!
6. Enemy Pie by: Derek Munson
This book has a powerful message of friendship. There's a fun Enemy Pie website to check after you read the book too!
7. And my most favorite? (drum roll, please) The North Star by: Peter Reynolds
 The message is simple, but powerful: Follow your own journey. See how the little boy in this story finds out. This book has incredible character-building life lessons. There's a North Star website as well with mini posters to print out and use during morning meetings. There's even a North Star classroom curriculum!
Feel free to comment on any of these books. I'd love to hear if you have a favorite not mentioned in my list. Happy New School Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment